Hey there! This is the story of a girl (me) living (and studying) in Barcelona from January until April, 2010. I may have a tendency to become a bit professorial in these blog entries but you can always skip to the pictures. Anyway... welcome!!

Monday, March 8, 2010

Snow. In March. In Barcelona!

Just two days ago, it was warm outside: a lovely 60 degrees with sun.  Today, I took out my gloves again and went out into the 40 degree, windy, rainy day.  Two hours later, sitting in Spanish class, my teacher went over to the window and announced that it was snowing. 

Sure enough, it was.

Well, by the time I left my last class to come home for the day (around 4:30), the snow was really coming down.  I know this is hard to believe because it is March and I am in Barcelona, not back home (where, incidentally, it is 51 degrees and sunny) but it is true.  I have pictures to prove it.  But first, I got on the bus and was completely amused by the spectacle of snow in a city that never, ever gets snow. 

About 70% of the people we passed had their cameras out and were snapping pictures.  The city looks GORGEOUS in the snow.  All the people working in the stores were by the windows looking out and people were out on the balconies.  Of course the only thing I was thinking was: I cannot believe that this is the one day I left my camera at home... I need to capture this for all my faithful blog followers!!!

I was really contemplating running up to my apartment, grabbing my camera, getting back on the bus and going into the old part of the city to take more pictures.  But the bus sounded like it wasn't even going to make it to the next stop and the roads were getting messy (right now, there is a huge traffic jam on the street by my building) so you'll have to make do with pictures from my balcony.  I was looking for pictures from one of the local newspapers' websites to show you but there aren't good ones up yet.  I did learn that they shut down the buses though!

One more thing before the photos... not only is there a snow storm but there is also a thunder storm going on!!  Complete with lightening!  Barcelona sure knows how to do storms!!!

Street view.

The park across the street.

Schoolyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment