Hey there! This is the story of a girl (me) living (and studying) in Barcelona from January until April, 2010. I may have a tendency to become a bit professorial in these blog entries but you can always skip to the pictures. Anyway... welcome!!

Friday, December 25, 2009

Further preparations

Two days ago, I decided after months of encouragement, particularly from my Habitat friends, that I was going to eat meat and think of it simply as trying a new food.  (I tried escargot a few weeks ago and figure eating a snail is far less appetizing than beef or anything like that.)  When I looked around the house for something to eat to get the first meat-eating experience in years over with, I could only find a frozen hamburger.  While I've been dreaming of cheeseburgers ever since I stopped eating meat-- and actually had a dream about a mouth-watering cheeseburger only three nights ago-- I could not make the first meat I'd eaten in years a frozen hamburger with no cheese and no bun.  (Clearly, meat is not a staple food in my house.)  But when I actually got fresh hamburger meat, I had lost my will to eat meat.

Tonight, I was over at some of our family friends' house and Denise was cooking prime rib.  I decided to do it.

I looked down at my fork and watched my hand bringing it up to my mouth.  There was a moment of drama-- can she do it?!?!?-- as the fork rose in the air.  Then I said to myself "stop being such a drama queen you idiot!" and I put it in my mouth and you want to know something?  I think the consistency was better than eating fish.  Then I had a few more bites and called it quits for the night.  I don't know how much I can handle right away.

So, Spain, here I come!!!


1 comment: