Hey there! This is the story of a girl (me) living (and studying) in Barcelona from January until April, 2010. I may have a tendency to become a bit professorial in these blog entries but you can always skip to the pictures. Anyway... welcome!!

Monday, February 8, 2010

Parc Guell

This weekend was beautiful: it was sunny, warm and felt like spring does back home.  Now it is rainy, dark (it's 6:35 pm so I guess it should be right now), and much cooler.  Instead of looking out the window, I'll recount my day yesterday.

Sarah, Dana (our other roommate) and I had gone out to this really cute little bar on Saturday night and since we got back late and I had to get my beauty sleep, I had to sleep in late by my standards (10 am!!).  I spent the morning doing my school work and then Sarah and I headed out to Parc Guell.  Parc Guell was designed by Gaudi.  It was originally going to be a whole housing development in a very park-like setting.  People didn't express much interest about living there so it was turned into a park instead. 

To get there, we had to take the metro across the city and then we had to go up a very steep hill to the park.  There are steps up the side of the hill but there are also escalators.  I kid you not!!  We went up about 5 escalators... built into the side of a hill!  I still can't get over this one.  I mean I was VERY happy to see those escalators since my legs were kind of sore from hiking around Montserrat the day before but STILL!  Escalators!  Going up a hill!!

The park is huge.  It covers dozens of acres overlooking the city.  You can see everything: the beach, La Sagrada Familia, the entire city.  The highlight of the park is the Serpentine Bench which is cool.  It's very windy and covered in mosaics (I'll put a picture below).  There were a lot of people in the park since it was a Sunday but most of the people were congregated around that bench.  It was loud and overwhelming so we didn't stay there for long but it seems like it would be a nice place to spend time when it's quieter.

Pictures:
Serpentine bench.












Serpentine bench from the back.
View.  You can see La Sagrada Familia (another Gaudi creation).  It's the really big building in the center of the picture.













One of the two houses actually built in the park.
















Today I went to this delicious crepe place for lunch with Sarah and some friends from my Spanish class.  It was this adorable little place and I had such a good raspberry jam and brie crepe.  They served the crepes rolled up kind of like burritos.  So good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment