Hey there! This is the story of a girl (me) living (and studying) in Barcelona from January until April, 2010. I may have a tendency to become a bit professorial in these blog entries but you can always skip to the pictures. Anyway... welcome!!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mamma Mia! Here we go again

As I was sitting on my bed looking into some places I'd like to visit while in Spain, I heard strains of ABBA coming from the window.  Yes!  Dancing Queen!  I was listening to James Taylor but I immediately switched it off and ran over to the window to try and figure out who was blasting the Mamma Mia soundtrack.  [Just a note here: I am really not one for musicals or ABBA but I love the movie Mamma Mia and especially singing along with Morina!]  Anyway, I couldn't figure it out but I'm assuming it was being played at the school next door.  Then they played the actual song Mamma Mia!  It is surprising to me how English music is played all over the place here... even in grocery stores where it's basically only locals.

We got lunch today from La Boqueria.  It's this market off La Rambla (a pretty touristy street where there are apparently a lot of pickpockets but there is also an opera house there.  The street runs from Placa Catalunya to the port).  I had my hands full today but will take pictures tomorrow and put them up here.  This market is AMAZING.  There are these huge candy stands with gourmet-looking (and pricey-- as we discovered) chocolates, stalls with hams hanging from them (these are popular here), lots of fresh and salted fish, fresh bread and so many fresh fruits and vegetables.  They sell two pineapples for two euros, raspberries and blackberries for one euro for about 1/2 a pint each.  It is delicious! 

After that, I had my first Spanish class.  I was enrolled in beginner but the teacher said that it was really for people who had never taken any Spanish before in their lives so I switched into a different class.  It's an intensive class and meets for 7.5 hours a week.  This should improve my Spanish so much! 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete