Hey there! This is the story of a girl (me) living (and studying) in Barcelona from January until April, 2010. I may have a tendency to become a bit professorial in these blog entries but you can always skip to the pictures. Anyway... welcome!!

Monday, January 18, 2010

the sky's on fire

Today was the first day of class.  I really wasn't prepared to have classes and had a notepad, no notebooks, and one pen.  I was planning on getting notebooks yesterday but everything was closed so I went today after class.  I decided to go española and get the notebooks that are regular here.  They are legal-sized and graph paper!  Plus they're a cool bright orange.

I woke up this morning and the sky was this amazing color red.  Which immediately got James Taylor stuck in my head (hey babe, the sky's on fire) but I didn't take a picture.  [Just a note here: this is the second time I've mentioned James Taylor in this blog which is strange because I don't even listen to him that often.  His music just fits my life well, I guess.] 

I started my Catalan Cultural Studies and Politics and Regionalism classes today.  Catalan studies focuses on the culture here in Catalunya.  This should be really insightful because people here identify with Catalunya not Spain and I want to understand all that that entails.  The other class, Politics and Regionalism, deals a lot with nationalism and state-building.  This will provide a different insight into nationalist movements and the different social factors which are addressed (or aren't addressed) in the creation of states.

Oh, here's a cool thing that they have here.  There aren't real gas stations in the center of the city.  Instead, there are Vespa filling stations:

No comments:

Post a Comment